Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Fun!

We have been getting ready for Halloween in our room.  My kids get so excited this time of year, which I love because anything we do that pertains to the Halloween theme...gets them totally engaged!  We have been learning about bats and spiders and oh how they love this.  These funny bats hang from our ceiling and I love the way they look.  We did them last year and the kids just loved them.  We write facts from what we have learned about what bats "can" "have" and "are" :
In math, we have been working hard on addition and subtraction.  I created these spiderwebs years ago and have always used the plastic spider rings to use as counters.  I now cut the finger band off because I kept finding that I needed to replace my spiders each year....hmmm....I wonder where our spiders could be disappearing to?!?!  I created a pack just like them with more addition and subtraction problems and to make their learning more concrete, I created recording sheets for the students to write the addition or subtraction sentence and the answer.  I copied mine on neon colored paper, but I created them in color or B&W for you to decide.   They are available in my store, if you like them.  Here is one of my students hard at work with their "Spooky Spider Math":
We have also been hard at work on our doubles facts.  I grabbed this adorable "Spooky Doubles" game from The Beehive at her TPT store...the best thing is...yep, it's free!  We used little lima beans as counters that I made into ghosts by drawing eyes on them with a sharpie...the students love this game!  Some of the students that are more fluent with their facts asked if they could use them as the game piece to cover their number because they love these little ghosts so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment